Never forget!

All student work and images are posted with permission and blessing!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Spanish online? How do you do that?

Blogging is my favorite hobby, but alas, I have a lot of work that needs to get done this year.  Then I decided that as a teacher, mom, Spanish speaker, and armchair comedienne, why not make a blog for work?  I can still tell my funny stories, write creative posts, and do my work research all in one place!  All my needs are met!  Don't you just love it when your personal and professional passions intercross?   It's hard to put this into blog posts because I could write one entire book on my language teaching journey.... but I will try. 

This blog is going to begin in the present and work its way back.  After many years of hearing it, I finally decided to answer the number one question since I took this job in October 2007. How do you teach a language online? Especially early language learning? Don't they have to see you, interact with you, smell your coffee breath and complain about your lack of fashion sense?  Don't you miss having to sign bathroom passes? Writing up tardy slips?  Newsflash!!!  It is possible and a lot of fun to interact with students on line.  AND yes! It is REAL work.  I haven't turned the television on before four o'clock in the afternoon since Oprah turned 50 and I was on maternity leave with my FIRST baby.

 I'm going where my writing energy takes me, and it's taking me back to language learning.  I'll post what works in my classroom, hilarious stories from years of doing this, and lessons different people have taught me over the years.

As funny as I am, I'll try to remember that this is also an educational research blog. Please comment and not just say wonderful idea!   You are so clever!!!!   Please, I need feedback, suggestions, and constructive criticism. I won't grow as an educator if I hear "Hurray for you!" over and over again...  Who am I kidding?  I can think of at least three Spanish teachers off the top of my head who have no problems calling me out when I need it.

I'm finishing up the layout and then the real work will begin!


3 comments:

  1. Testing, testing 1, 2, 3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Page-- or should we call you Pagina on here? Of course I will be happy to read your blog and make comments. I love the name. As an English teacher I love verbs and as a Texan I love tacos. I realize that growing up in Texas isn't the reason I love tacos. Doesn't everyone love tacos? Looking forward to reading the adventures of Senora Pelphrey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Page, I never got a PhD, but I gave the Universe an outstanding teacher, didn't I?

    ReplyDelete